* Host and MLB analyst Gill Alexander and Basewinner examine the most and least profitable money line clubs in baseball (home/road splits), the best and worst run line clubs, the most reliable totals umpires, the best and worst first 5 inning and 1st inning teams (including runs produced and allowed) and the clubs with the biggest difference between their 5 inning and full game performances. Plus, proprietary stats on the best and worst starters in the 1st inning are included, as well, all designed to inform your MLB derivative wagers. It's all on Thursday's Betting Dork (July 24, 2014).
* And now it gets even better. The 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is in full swing, as Lee Phelps, TV presenter and host of multiple Wiliiam Hill UK podcasts, guests once again with Gill Alexander for an extensive analysis of the tournament. All Round of 16 games are examined, with tips on how to bet creatively included, on a Friday World Cup edition of the Betting Dork (June 27, 2014).
It is finally here. The 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is upon us, as Lee Phelps, TV presenter and host of multiple Wiliiam Hill UK podcasts, joins Gill Alexander for an extensive analysis of the tournament. Groups A-H are examined, as are the roles that travel, climate, and scheduling will play in affecting the fortunes of World Cup squads. Plus, in addition to projecting which sides will advance past the group stage and beyond, the three best prop bets are highlighted, as well, on Monday's World Cup global edition of the Betting Dork (June 8, 2014).
Paul Sporer of Baseball Prospectus stops by to chat with Host Gill Alexander and isolates overachieving skill position players for fantasy types and starting pitchers for the fantasy and betting sets alike (our fade targets moving forward). A nod is given to the underachievers, as well. Then, Marco D'Angelo of Pregame and Chris Andrews of againstthenumber.com handicap the third leg of the Triple Crown as California Chrome attempts to make history, on Thursday's Betting Dork (June 5, 2014).
Host Gill Alexander and sabermetrician Basewinner break down the most and least profitable money line clubs in baseball (home/road splits), the best and worst run line clubs, the most reliable totals umpires, the best and worst first 5 inning and 1st inning teams (including runs produced and allowed) and the clubs with the biggest difference between their 5 inning and full game performances. Plus, proprietary stats on the best and worst starters in the 1st inning are included, as well, all designed to inform your MLB derivative wagers. Then, Marco D'Angelo of Pregame.com and Chris Andrews of AgainstTheNumber.com break down the second leg of the Triple Crown, on Thursday's Betting Dork (May 15, 2014).
Horse Racing expert Marco D'Angelo (he who called the Derby win of 30-1 shot Animal Kingdom three years ago) and racing aficionado Chris Andrews of AgainstTheNumber.com drop in on Host Gill Alexander for this annual extensive Kentucky Derby preview, isolating the horses in this year's Run for the Roses that form the group on which bets will be made come the first Saturday in May. Plus, commentary on the state of horse racing, in general. Then, speaking of a dissertation on the state of things, Vegas Runner provides his thoughts on the current status of blackjack in Las Vegas, and gives his best tips on how to maximize your experience playing the game, on Thursday's Betting Dork (May 1, 2014).
A year after guests Rufus Peabody and Lee Phelps nailed the Adam Scott/Angel Cabrera duel to the finish last April, a betting podcast tradition unlike any other returns. This time, Host Gill Alexander welcomes back fellow host Dave Kelner from William Hill's golf podcast to highlight which stats are key and which golfers chasing the green jacket are teeming with value at this week's Masters Tournament at Augusta. It's golf's first major of the season, on Tuesday's Betting Dork (April 8, 2014).
* We know him well in these parts. Joe Peta, author of "Trading Bases, a Story About Wall Street, Gambling, and Baseball* (*) Not necessarily in that order", takes a break from his actual job crunching numbers and joins Host Gill Alexander for another in a long line of appearances on the pod, this time with 2014 MLB Season win totals on his mind. It's baseball nirvana once again on Monday's Betting Dork (March 24, 2014).
We've got the madness covered like no one else. Ed Feng of ThePowerRank.com handles the advanced analytics and Pregame Pro Vegas Runner provides market perspective as the two dissect all 32 second round 2014 NCAA Basketball Tournament matchups from both an ATS and bracket standpoint. Plus, Host Gill Alexander provides game theory you should consider for your office pools and advanced stats that will help you gain an edge. What are the 6 characteristics that all National Champions have shared since 2004, and what one team in this year's field possesses them? It's our annual March Madness edition on Tuesday's Betting Dork (March 18, 2014).
The Analytics episode is here. First, Chad Millman, Editor-in-Chief of ESPN The Magazine, and host and writer of the Behind The Bets podcast and blog, respectively, at ESPN.com, makes his annual visit with host Gill Alexander, providing insight on the Mag's annual Analytics Issue and thoughts on both the gambling panel at the recent MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference and sports betting in New Jersey. Then, Peter Keating, Senior Writer at ESPN The Magazine, does what he does best, stimulating in ways that will cause you to view sports such as hockey, horse racing, and NASCAR in just a slightly differently manner than you might have before listening. it all leads up to his best Giant Killer candidates in next week's NCAA Men's College Basketball Tournament, on Wednesday's Betting Dork (March 12, 2014).
* Last week was the appetizer; this week, the entree. Fantasy baseball geeks (and baseball bettors), it's time. No one has written more extensively on starting pitching throughout MLB heading into your 2014 fantasy draft or auction than Paul Sporer of Baseball Prospectus and PaintTheBlack.com. He sits down and chats with Host Gill Alexander about the most overvalued and undervalued starters in the majors, headed into Opening Day 2014. It's information that directly applies to fantasy, but converts beautifully to betting value, as well. That, and some MLB season win totals talk, as well, on Wednesday's Betting Dork (March 5, 2014).
Paul Sporer of Baseball Prospectus and PaintTheBlack.com highlights the most overvalued and undervalued position players you should be aware of for your upcoming baseball fantasy draft. Plus, key trends to help inform your NBA handicapping and a chance to shine and win from OnSide Sports, on Wednesday's Betting Dork (February 26, 2013).
* And so, we have arrived at this. Before the Denver Broncos tangle with the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, enjoy the final NFL MegaPod of the season, replete with game and prop analysis. Pregame pro Bryan Leonard joins Host Gill Alexander and fellow Pregame pros Marco DAngelo and Vegas Runner to break down the game itself and to pore over the best value on the board among Super Bowl game-related proposition wagers. For the non-Vegas bettors, Gill offers thoughts on the most exploitable exotic props on the board, as well. There's something for everyone, on Wednesday's Betting Dork (January 29, 2014).
* It's the only non-sports betting episode of the calendar year, but for some, it's the most anticipated. If you're planning a trip to Vegas, let this be your guide. Host Gill Alexander, Gaming Today's Marco D'Angelo, and man about town, Vegas Runner, take off their handicapping hats and are joined by Marc Meltzer of vegaschatter.com, part of the Conde Nast Digital Network, to discuss the best Sportsbooks, Steak Restaurants, Nightclubs, and Strip Clubs in Sin City. The Super Bowl's not for awhile. In the meantime, enjoy a man's guide to Sin City, on Friday's Betting Dork (January 24, 2014).
* Making his annual NFL postseason appearance on the pod, Aaron Schatz, creator of Football Outsiders and Insider at ESPN.com, joins Host Gill Alexander and offers up his thoughts on a host of topics, including his best NFL futures bets for next season, based on his advanced metrics. Then, it's MegaPod panel time as 2011 Las Vegas Hilton SuperContest champion Brady Kannon (of Sans Souci) returns to the roundtable alongside Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner to give his insights on the New England Patriots at Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks. It's all on a supersized Friday Championship edition of the Betting Dork (January 17, 2014).
Just in time for the Divisional Round, 2010 Hilton SuperContest champion Richard Stand joins Host Gill Alexander and takes his rightful place on the roundtable alongside Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner to give his insights on the New Orleans Saints at Seattle Seahawks, Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers, and San Diego Chargers at Denver Broncos. It's all on another Friday NFL playoff edition of the Betting Dork (January 10, 2014).
The playoffs kick off in grand style on the granddaddy of all sports betting roundtable podcasts, as Host Gill Alexander makes the call to the bullpen for National Football Post's Joe Fortenbaugh to take his familiar spot alongside Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner. All four Wild Card games are dissected. Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints at Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers at Cincinnati Bengals, and San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers. No stone is left unturned in an effort to give you an edge with your plays this weekend, on Friday's Betting Dork (January 3, 2014).
The Power Rank creator, Ed Feng, and Pregame Pro Dave Essler sit back down with Host Gill Alexander to break down the balance of the Bowl schedule from a betting perspective. With 35 games in all, Part 1 examined the first 17 matchups from December 21st to midway through December 30th. Now, the trio picks up midway through the 30th and takes you all the way through the BCS Championship between Florida State and Auburn. It's the holiday season gift that keeps on giving, on Monday's Betting Dork (December 23, 2013).
Uh oh. It's the return of Pregame co-owner Johnny Detroit. Let the hijinx ensue. Host Gill Alexander welcomes back Johnny and, of course, MegaPod pillars Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner to break down this weekend's NFL betting board in a fashion that you won't quite find anywhere else. That we can assure you. The crew examines the entire slate, but keys in on the Atlanta Falcons at San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears at Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers, Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills, and NY Giants at Detroit Lions. And, our two staple questions are answered, as well. Which big favorite is most likely to lose outright and which game is the least bettable of the bunch? Plus, VR makes a promise, on Friday's Betting Dork (December 20, 2013).
It's the most wonderful time of the year. College Football Bowl season is here and Host Gill Alexander reviews the fundamental tenets of capping during the 35 Bowl, 17 day stretch. Then, creator of The Power Rank, Ed Feng, and Pregame Pro Dave Essler apply their inherently different approaches to uncovering any betting edge in the lines. With 35 games in all, Part 1 tackles the first 17 matchups from December 21st to midway through December 30th. It's a a bonafide annual tradition, on Monday's Betting Dork (December 16, 2013).
The NFL's flagship sports betting podcast series marches on into the home stretch of the regular season with Host Gill Alexander and Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner. As always, a who's who of industry and handicapping experts makes it complete. This week, former casino owner and bookmaker for 30+ years, Chris Andrews of againstthenumber.com and the premier handicapping tool, SHARPS, returns to the roundtable, breaking down the Baltimore Ravens at Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals at Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks at NY Giants, Chicago Bears at Cleveland Browns, Washington Redskins at Atlanta Falcons, and more matchups from a handicapping perspective. Plus, VR's rant on the Seahawks and Gill's on the Redskins, which big favorite is most likely to lose outright, and which game should you stay away from at all costs, on Friday's Betting Dork (December 13, 2013).
A professional sports analyst and bettor who wrote his senior thesis at Yale on the inefficiencies in the MLB betting market, Rufus Peabody worked at Las Vegas Sports Consultants prior to co-developing the Massey-Peabody rankings, and his work can be seen weekly these days in the Wall Street Journal and at The Linemakers/Sporting News, as well. Occasionally, he'll even slum it here. And by that, we mean, hit the bigtime. Rufus sits down with Host Gill Alexander and Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner in a feisty breakdown of this weekend's board, including the Dallas Cowboys at Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers at New Orleans Saints, Minnesota Vikings at Baltimore Ravens, Detroit Lions at Philadelphia Eagles, Tennessee Titans at Denver Broncos, and Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers. Plus, the panel isolates the big favorite(s) most likely to lose outright and the least appealing game(s) from a betting standpoint, on Friday's Betting Dork (December 6, 2013).
The band is back together. The first return guest in the 2013 MegaPod series, National Football Post's Joe Fortenbaugh hangs out with Host Gill Alexander and Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner to complete the quartet and weigh in on all things betting for the upcoming NFL weekend. The San Francisco 49ers at Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos at New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts at Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears at St. Louis Rams, and Carolina Panthers at Miami Dolphins are all discussed, among other matchups, as are the big favorite most likely to lose outright and the game(s) to be avoided. It's all on Friday's Betting Dork (November 22, 2013)
Creator of The Power Rank (thepowerrank.com) which seeks to enlighten through sports analytics and its accompanying visualization, Ed Feng now adds Grantland, Sports Illustrated, and Advanced NFL Stats to his resume of work. Now, he can include the MegaPod. Ed joins Host Gill Alexander and Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner on the weekly panel to break down the NFL board, including the New England Patriots at Carolina Panthers, Kansas City Chiefs at Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers at NY Giants, Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals, and more. And it wouldn't be the MegaPod without isolating the big favorite most likely to lose outright and the game(s) you shouldn't be betting at all, on Friday's Betitng Dork (November 15, 2013).
While you're still digesting all of yesterday's NFL results, Pregame Pro Dave Essler and Host Gill Alexander are already looking ahead and engaging in their preliminary analysis of next week's numbers. And fresh off a week during which his technical analysis translated to cash for those who took advantage, ESPN Insider Evan Abrams makes the show complete with another batch of trends. Uncovering intrinsic value embedded in lines in an effort to convert it into cash, always the mission on Monday's Betting Dork (November 11, 2013).
It is a record that may never be broken. In 2011, the four-member Sans Souci team won the Hilton SuperContest with a remarkable 72.5% win rate. Now, for the first time, team member and LVH SuperContest weekend co-creator Brady Kannon joins his Pregame counterparts Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner on the MegaPod. Host Gill Alexander navigates the crew through the Miami Dolphins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys at New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles at Green Bay Packers, St. Louis Rams at Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars at Tennessee Titans, and more. Plus, the panel votes on which favorite of more than a touchdown is most likely to lose outright, and which game on the board begs for a pass, on Friday's Betting Dork (November 8, 2013).
* * * * Pregame Pro Dave Essler and Host Gill Alexander hook up for their weekly kneejerk reactions to just-released NFL betting lines, with an eye towards pinpointing value. Then, ESPN Insider Evan Abrams offers up a trend or two that provides additional context, on Monday's Betting Dork (November 4, 2013).
A pioneer and giant in the industry, Dr. Bob sits down with Host Gill Alexander, making his return to the industry's flagship NFL betting podcast series. Along with the show's weekly pillars, Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner, the quartet break down this weekend's NFL board, with special treatment given to the Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans, Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints at NY Jets, and Tennessee Titans at St. Louis Rams. Plus, you know the drill. The panel chimes in on which big favorite is most likely to lose outright (there is consensus) and which game is the least bettable from a sides perspective. It's all on Friday's Betting Dork (November 1, 2013).
* * * * Pregame Pro Dave Essler and Host Gill Alexander take a preliminary look at the upcoming weekend's NFL lines in an effort to uncover inherent betting value, while Gill and ESPN Insider Evan Abrams both provide details that dovetail on two specific teams next weekend, on Monday's Betting Dork (October 28, 2013).
Once a year, they go guestless just to remember where they came from. This is that week. Host Gill Alexander and Pregame pros Marco D'Angelo and Vegas Runner examine this weekend's pro football menu, looking to unearth angles you may not have considered. The Seattle Seahawks at St. Louis Rams, Green Bay Packers at Minnesota Vikings, Washington Redskins at Denver Broncos, and San Francisco 49ers at Jacksonville Jaguars (at Wembley Stadium in London) are among the games discussed. Plus, as always, the big favorite that's most likely to lose outright and the game you should want no part of, on Friday's Betting Dork (October 25, 2013).